An earthwork enclosure – covers nearly 4 acres on a hill-top plateau, with the substantial outer bank, inner ditch and pond. Excavation of brooches, coins, jars and bowls near the remnants of an imposing south-facing, outward turning entrance revealed a Romano-British settlement and evidence of iron smelting, perhaps a continuation of pre-Roman industry. Records of Bucks 48 (2008), pp.37-53. (See LiDAR image to right).
An old holloway, which descends northwards from the plateau to Deadmans Dean Bottom.
A banked oval pond – with no obvious entrance so perhaps an ornamental feature built by Earl Howe after the wood was enclosed in 1855.
The Chalk Track – Map evidence (1875) shows that this track was put in after the 1855 inclosure. 18 inches of excavated chalk from outside the wood was added in 1985 to improve the surface for vehicles.
A large quarry, one of seven. Flints, sand and perhaps clay, were most commonly quarried in the wood. There are also at least a dozen 19th century saw pits spread throughout the wood. A double bank and ditch running north from the main gate to Holloway. There are numerous old trackways and small banked boundaries elsewhere in the wood.
Lynchets or terraces in the fields to the NE of Deadmans Dean Bottom
have been observed in 1947 aerial photographs and are relics of Bronze Age, Iron Age or medieval farmers in the valley.